Monday, January 7, 2013

Money Matters

Let's talk money.
Cash.  Credit.  Plastic.  Budget.
Because it matters.

My husband and I were both raised with conservative
money management ideals.
The credit card was to be completely
paid in full each and every month.
That's what we were taught.
That's what we've always done.

We've lived with a budget for years.
But, I felt there was room for improvement.
And boy, was I right!  

Recently, I challenged myself to use cash 
to see if there would be a difference in my shopping habits.
And, to my surprise, and delight,
it has been successful!

I have not done the *Dave Ramsey* course.
But, I've read enough about it
to make me sit up and take notice.
Cash envelopes.  No credit card use.  Budget.  Emergency Fund.
These were some of the things mulling about in my brain.

Would it really make a difference to use cash?
Would I really spend less?
After all...we were using credit like cash, weren't we?

Apparently not. 
The concept is simple.

Set a budget.
Decide what you are willing to spend
in the month and set that money aside for specifics.
Give each dollar a job to do.
Savings, spending, food, rent, giving, etc.
Determine ahead of time what is reasonable.
Do your best to stick to it!

There will be bumps along the way.
If you've never budgeted before, 
you may have no clue where your money goes.
That's okay.  You'll soon find out!  :)

It can take a few months to get into the 
swing of things with a budget.
Tweaking is allowed.
In fact, it's encouraged.

I'm not going to get into the specifics here.
But, this one thing I will say ~
Absolutely (without a doubt!),
paying with cash helps keep me on track.
It helps to keep me accountable.
At least, that's been my experience!

And...the money?
It goes further.  

Oh, and one more thing.
I'm in control of it, and not the other way around.
It's very liberating.  Freeing.
Try it!  I'm sure you'll be glad you did! 
I can't believe we didn't do this sooner.  :)

Many Blessings,
Camille


**Image in this post courtesy of Calvin ~
Thank you my love!  XO


No comments:

Post a Comment