Thursday, August 29, 2013

Comforting Words

Our precious Auntie Mary gave me a lovely little book
on one of her recent visits to Canada.
I put it into my purse thinking I would read 
snippets of it here and there.
It's full of short quotes from letters which 
Samuel Rutherford wrote nearly 400 years ago.

Recently, I took it out of my purse so I could take it along
on a day trip to visit my friend on the Island.
The trip required over three hours on the ferry ~ lots of time for reading.
I found it to be full of rich nuggets
that ministered to my grieving Mama heart.

Such encouragement, comfort and truth
can be discovered within its pages.  It's precious.
I am sharing a few lines from this little book here today.
May these words be used to encourage your heart as they have mine.

"They are not lost to you that are laid up in Christ's treasury in Heaven.
At the resurrection ye shall meet with them: 
there they are, sent before, but not sent away.
Your Lord loveth you, who is homely to take and give,
borrow and lend."

~ Calvin, Austin and Fraser Circa 2002 ~

"She is not sent away, but only sent before,
like unto a star, which going out of your sight, doth not die and vanish,
but shineth in another hemisphere:
ye see her not, yet she doth shine in another country."

"The child hath but changed a bed in the garden,
and is planted up higher, nearer the sun,
where he shall thrive better than in this out-field moor-ground."

Comforting words?  Absolutely.

Many Blessings,
Camille

**All quotes in this post are taken from Samuel Rutherford's
"The Loveliness of Christ" ~ a rare gem of a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment