Friday, August 9, 2013

Birthday In a Bag (Freebie!)


Sadly, this is my last weekday of summer vacation.  It flew by, as it usually does, and I am filled with excitement, nerves, and a little anxiety--there is still so much to do!  Next week will be full of professional development sessions, meetings, and preparing for "Meet the Teacher", and the week after that...I will be kicking off the new year with a brand new group of little smarties!

That said, I am trying to think ahead this year.  I am trying to think of all the little (and big) things that can help me once the crazy begins!  {Ha!}  Yesterday I worked on putting together our "Birthday in a Bag" labels and letters.  It is really a simple idea, and it is a tradition on our grade level--everyone on our team does Birthday in a Bag.

Instead of parents sending in cupcakes, or bringing a cake, or bringing goodie bags, candy, etc. for the entire class--we send home the Birthday in a Bag for the parents to decorate and fill with treats, notes, and trinkets for their child only.  I have my students open the bag during snack while we sing "Happy Birthday".  Everyone LOVES to see the lucky birthday kid's special items.  No one complains that they didn't get a cupcake or treat, they are just happy to celebrate with their birthday friend.

I like Birthday in a Bag because it doesn't take up extra class time, it is easy to implement, and it is a fun and special thing just for the birthday boy or girl!  I send home the bags at the beginning of each child's birthday month, along with a letter for the parents.  You can download your own copy of the letter and label for free below!


No comments:

Post a Comment