Thursday, October 13, 2011

Finding the Balance

Just a little more than five years ago I was computer illiterate.
I didn't know how to send email.
I didn't know the first thing about creating Word documents or files.

I didn't want to know.

I'd had enough of computers in High School.
We had to create programs using DOS ~ 'Nuff said.

I figured I had enough on my plate
with little ones and family responsibilities.
Howie could accomplish whatever tasks were
necessary on the computer.

I communicated with friends and family the old-fashioned way.
I wrote letters.  I read the newspaper.
I kept a ledger book for our family's budget.
The calendar was on the wall.

Then, we began our homeschool journey.
It was a requirement to email the teacher once per week.
I thought maybe Howie could do that.
It was overwhelming.  But, I quickly adjusted.

About the same time as all of this was happening,
my sister moved away.  Far away.
She began a blog and invited her friends and family
to read it.  I did.

Then I ventured out online and *met* another blogger.
Her posts drew me in.  She shared her faith.
She shared her life.  It was a blessing.

These were the only two blogs
I read for about a year.
I was never going to blog.

You know how the saying goes ~
"Never say never."

I began blogging over two years ago.

At first it was just a big, unkown world.
I didn't know anyone. And no one knew me.
Before long I was visiting people.
And they reciprocated.

It was fun.  And addicting.


How quickly the computer takes on a life of its own.
How quickly a blessing can become a curse.  If it's allowed to.
There were many attempts along
the way to keep things in check.
Balanced.

I was accountable to my husband.
But, I still found myself going overboard at times.
I still blogged most days.
The computer was constantly drawing me in.
School.  Email.  Shopping.
Blogging.  Research.

It all melded into one big pool.
The pull was great.  Too easy to check the blog.
Too easy to lose track of time.
Too easy to neglect my first calling.

Wife.  Mother.  Teacher.

This past Summer I (mostly) took
a month off from the computer.
It was good.
When I came back I had a plan.
Please understand,
this plan is what works for me.
It may not be what works for you.

My system is simple.

I seek to limit my computer time to twice per week.
Email is sent and answered.
Blog posts are written, posted and moderated.
Blog friends are visited.  Online orders are placed.
Banking is done.

And then I am free.

Free to be a Wife.  Free to be a Mum.
Free to be a Teacher.
I find that I can think
more clearly.  More freely.  Free.

May the LORD help us all as we navigate this
online life in a wise and godly way.
He is Faithful.  He will guide.
He will give wisdom.

Finding the Balance.
By His Grace.  For His Glory.

Many blessings,
Camille


**Photo Credit ~ Calvin...thank you my love! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment