Saturday, November 30, 2013

Top Christmas Songs/Versions



There are some songs where I think all of the versions are good, but none are really REALLY good. (O Come All Ye Faithful, for instance) Here is a list of my TOP Christmas songs - the ones I love listening to year round.

CLASSIC CHRISTMAS SONGS

Casting Crowns' literally recreated this classic Christmas song. With a beautiful piano harmony and a children's choir, this is the best version of this song BY FAR.

The regular "12 Days of Christmas" gets really boring after about the fifth verse. Relient K puts a hilarious twist to this boring sound. With a few added lines ("What's a partridge? What's a pear tree? Well I don't know so please don't ask me. But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get!") and a rocky beat, this song is definitely worth listening until the end.

Like "12 Days of Christmas," Relient K's ending to this hilarious song is priceless. The song is told by a little boy who did a lot of bad things throughout the year and therefore is getting nothing for Christmas "cause I ain't been nothing but bad!"

I love Michael Buble's 40s jazzy swing voice. Even my sister, who is not a big fan of Mr. Buble, loves this song.

This beautiful classic by Mark Lowry is given a somewhat harder edge by Christian rock/pop band Kutless.

War Is Over (Happy Xmas) by Maroon 5 and Sara Bareilles
I don't even know if this song is available for purchase, but Adam and Sara do a great job with it. Celine Dion's version comes in a close second!

O Holy Night by Alex G.
Alex G is a musical internet sensation. Out of the hundreds of versions of "O Holy Night" she definitely sings it best. Her voice is just incredible.

What Child is This - David Archuleta
David's voice is just miraculous.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Francesca Battistelli
Francesca's version is upbeat compared to say, Buble's version, but it is great nonetheless and offers a more modern rhythm.

Little Drummer Boy by Jars of Clay
Little Drummer Boy by Go Fish
I can't decide which version of this song I like better. Both are unique and have great beats.


One of my favorite Christmas songs. I love the Jars of Clay's unique voice that gives this song lots of depth.

Somewhat sad, but anyway anything by Buble is good.

I LOVE a cappella and I am constantly fascinated at what the human mouth can do. (Can't wait for the Sing Off!)




ORIGINAL SONGS


The true meaning of Christmas in our society is engulfed by fancy decor and stuff. This song takes away all of the fancy Christmas trees and presents and digs into the true meaning of Christmas - Christ.

This is my sister's favorite Christmas song. This original song by great Christian band Jars of Clay is fun and catchy!

Although it definitely has a Christmas slant, this beautiful song could be used "year round." This is probably one of my favorite songs. How many fathers gave up their sons for me? Only one did that for me.

This is my family's favorite Christmas song and perfectly describes how we feel about the "happy holidays" hype. This is for every Christian who is sick of "happy holidays" and wants "Merry Christmas" back!


Christmas meets Hachi in this really sad Christmas song that inspired the movie by the same name. In the song/movie, a little boy's mom is dying and the little boy is buying his mother shoes so "she will look beautiful when she sees Jesus tonight." 

What are YOUR favorite Christmas songs? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment