Thursday, November 21, 2013

Top 8 Best (non-classic) Hanukkah Songs


I LOVE Hanukkah!! Unfortunately, I won't be celebrating it "officially" but I can still listen to a bunch of Hanukkah music and eat latkes. There are so many Christmas songs, so I would like to shine a light to a few of the great Hanukkah songs out there!

Here are my top 8 favorite Hanukkah songs!

8. 8 Nights Of Hanukkah by Pella
Really fun Hanukkah-parody medley!

I LOVE Matisyahu's "Miracle" and this one is a great sequel. It has the same reggae-beat as Matisyahu's other songs.

6. Eight Days by Edon
At just 13, Edon Ariel Pinchot placed in the top 24 on America's Got Talent. On November 11 of this year he proudly released his first original single - a Hanukkah-theamed song about hope and resilience! "It's the holiday season, all you hear is Christmas music," he says. "There's nothing wrong with that, obviously, but I thought it would be cool to be the first to create this crossover." "On one hand, ['8 Days'] is clearly a Hanukkah song, but at the same time it's radio-playable and something that anyone could be listening to," he continues. "I tried to focus on these overall views of hope, freedom, resilience, persistence, standing up for what you believe in. I tried to make it this sort of universal feel that anyone could relate to, while still making it a song that is Hanukkah-themed."


5. Al Hanissim by Six13
I LOVE this song, especially when the sing it with the Maccabeats. (see link) I'm usually not a big fan of Six13, but this song is very fun and catchy. (And besides, I haven't heard another version of this song I really like. I found the YBC version is a bit "obnoxious" but thats just me.)

This song started my lifetime-love of the Yeshiva Boys Choir! The melody is beautifully haunting and the song is really sad...the first time I listened to it I bawled my eyeballs out. The song is a plea from a young boy to his father in the IDF - "daddy come home!" The second verse, in which I was sure his father died, had tears bubbling in my eyes at the dedication at the end.

3. Miracle by Matisyahu
Do you believe in miracles? This is a great classic Hanukkah songs!




2. Eight Nights by StandFour
The Maccabeats spin-off group, StandFour, released this song last Hanukkah. This parody of three pop songs is AWESOME! Each singer (David Block, Noey Jacobson, Immanuel Shalev and Nachum Joel.) has his own solo, so you get a really great combo.



1. Candlelight by the Maccabeats
Hanukkah's national anthem! :) Of course this was going to be #1. Anyone who is reading this probably has already heard it. If not, click the link and sit back and enjoy. There are very few things better than an uplifting Jewish song.


Other great Hanukkah songs are "Burn" by the Maccabeats and their original single "Shine." The Fountainheads "Light Up The Night" is also a great song!

What are your favorite Hanukkah songs?


No comments:

Post a Comment