Monday, September 30, 2013

My Top 11 All-Time Favorite Books



I am going to end this series on a more personal note - with my top favorite books and why I like them.
I read a lot - these are my top books. I LOVE them all and hope you do too!

    FAVORITE MEMOIR: Things We Couldn't Say by Diet Eman
    I included this in my 11 Christian Memoirs post and my Ten WWII Heroes series. I love Diet Eman's story - maybe even a little better than that of Corrie ten Boom. :) (But to give her credit, I was really young when I read Corrie's story) Diet Eman and her fiancé Hein were your average young Dutch couple madly in love when the Germans occupied Holland. Diet and Hein soon join the Dutch resistance. God's love shines very brightly as Diet faces trials, heartache, and ultimately God's amazing grace.


    FAVORITE BIOGRAPHY: Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
    I LOVE Louie Zamperini!! He is amazing!! Although not for young children, Zamperini's story is an inspiring story of faith for older readers. Although the majority of the book is about his life not as a Christian, how he comes to his faith and his tail of survival is incredible.


    FAVORITE CHILDREN'S NOVEL: I Am David by Anne Holm
    Despite being set in the 1950s, this is the novel that got me interested in WWII. How? I don't really remember. This is the amazing fictional story of a 12 year-old who escapes from a concentration camp and is on a mission to get to Denmark. Why? He doesn't know.
    I had no clue what Europe was at the time, and for some reason, I thought Denmark was near Colorado. (hey, I had just gotten out of public school - give me a break!)
    It's written in the third point of view, but every line is from David's view.
    I Am David isn't an adventure novel, it's kind of like a psychological novel. I am a very analytical thinker, so I LOVED David's thoughts throughout the novel. He has a uniquely high moral standard, and is incredibly wise and smart. The writing in this is eloquent and beautiful. For some quotes that really stuck out to me, see this link for some great quotes from the novel!
    I don't usually reread books, but I've read this four or five times and still pick it up and begin reading it every time I see it!!


    FAVORITE CHRISTIAN FICTION: Night Song and From Dust and Ashes by Tricia Goyer
    I can't choose which one I like better - that would be utterly cruel. This category didn't have much competition because I read very little Christian fiction. (I find a lot of it either slow or completely unrealistic) But, these two Goyer novels are some of my favorite novels of all time. Realistic characters, great message, enthralling plot, great writing.

    From Dust and Ashes
    Well-researched, well-written, and simply breathtaking - From Dust and Ashes is set in post-WWII. The book is divided into 3 parts, and although I don't even like romance, part two (which was mostly romance), kept me interested and wanting more.
    Tricia Goyer's novels are extremely realistic, but in this one in particular, her characters are just real. (Tricia says she gets this a lot in this novel. She says the protagonist, Helene, is so real because Helene is based on HER (Tricia) life.)

    Night Song
    After reading From Dust and Ashes, I just HAD to read Night Song. This one deals with the Holocaust, and I really admire Goyer for being one of the very few Christian fiction authors who tackles this subject - in a non-cheesy, non-romance, and realistic way.


    FAVORITE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL NOVEL: Girls to the Rescue by Bruce Lansky
    I have read all the books in this series. When I was either in second or third grade, I fell in love with this series! They are great stories of courageous girls all around the world. Filled with legends, fables, fairytale-twists and true stories, these are great books that show female empowerment in a non-feminist way.


    My favorite cover of The Chosen
    FAVORITE FICTION NOVEL: The Chosen by Chaim Potok
    Chaim Potok may be one of my favorite authors. His writing is so simple - and his books are just so overly Jewish. This is one of those novels I would not recommend to everyone and I don't believe everyone will like. It's not an adventure novel, the biggest thing that happens is Israel becomes a country. But, despite all of the fiction I've read, this is my favorite.
    It's plot centers around two very different Jewish teens and how they become friends - despite their families having nothing (and I mean nothing) in common.
    Firstly there is the brilliant Danny, the Hasidic son of a very religious rabbi. Danny wants to be a psychologist but is pressured to take his father's place as rabbi.
    Then there is the narrator, Reuven Malter, an Orthodox Jew who wants to be a rabbi.
    What I liked best about The Chosen (besides it's Jewish-ness) was the characters. I thought it was so interesting how two people of the same religion can be SO different - how they can argue and disagree with each other yet respect each other so much.


    FAVORITE SEQUEL: The Promise by Chaim Potok
    This book covers Danny and Reuven as young men. In an ironic turn of events, Hasidic-turned-Orthodox Danny steals (and marries) Reuven's Orthodox-Conservative Jewish girlfriend, Rachel. 
    But, being a Jewish novel, this isn't a romance and the above sentences were just major spoilers. (sorry)
    In here, Danny goes on to balance modern America with Hasidism and pursue his career in psychology. He has a calm and persuasive personality which makes him fabulous at his job.
    In his final school year pursuing becoming a rabbi, Reuven clashes with his Talmud teacher, who was from one of the European concentration camps. Reuven uses a controversial method of studying Talmud that his father taught him. This causes much conflict throughout the novel. In the end, like in The Chosen, our characters still find a way to love and hate each other at the same time.


    FAVORITE INFORMATION BOOK: Hitler Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
    This book really spoke loudly to me. It had extremely powerful messages for today's young people. Not only does it preach against blindly following authority and fame, it shows German teenagers who stood up against Hitler. I would highly recommend this book to everyone.


    FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE: Psalms and Deuteronomy
    I enjoy the book of Psalms because it is so comforting! My favorite psalms include psalm 121 and psalm 23. I love Deuteronomy, especially verse 6: I am definitely putting it on my doorpost someday. :)


    FAVORITE AUTHOR: Patricia Reilly Giff
    I have read many Patricia Reilly Giff books, and no matter what the subject, I haven't been disappointed. One of the books I really liked was set in the 1700s!!!! (and no, the characters weren't Jewish) Her plots, characters, and writing are believable and exciting!


    These are my top 11 favorite novels/authors. What are yours and why do you like them?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment