Wednesday, July 7, 2010

REST ~ Reflections on the LORD's Day

Oh we have periods of rest.

There are holidays.

There are "days off".

But, the LORD instituted a DAY of REST.

It comes around one day in seven.



Orderly.

Predicable.

Necessary.

And of great BENEFIT.



Did you know that our bodies are designed this way?

Surprised?

It shouldn't be surprising.

God's WORD is clear.

It is for our GOOD and for HIS glory.







We are instructed to REST on the LORD's DAY.

In the Old Testament times it was called the Sabbath.

It was the seventh day of the week.

The LORD rose from the dead on the first day of the week.

And that is why (simply speaking) we rest on the first day.

The LORD's Day.



This day is set apart for worship.

For gathering with the LORD's people.

For works of benvolence.

For works of necessity.

And for REST.



This is not meant to be an exhaustive list.

It is just meant to make us think.

What are we using HIS day for?

Our own pleasures?

Or HIS glory?



"Come unto me, all ye that labour

and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;

for I am meek and lowly in heart:

and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy,

and my burden is light."



Matthew 11:28-30

~ Holy Bible ~



No comments:

Post a Comment