Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Apple Tart ~ Yum!

It was Christmas.

I was doing a little baking with my
once-a-year cookbook.


It's one of my favourite Christmas
home inspiration books.


When I tested this recipe,
it was decided that once a year just wouldn't be enough.
So, I copied it out to keep in my recipe box
for easy year-round access.

I also began by baking this tart in a pie dish.
Not too bad, but the tart pan is a
better choice when making tarts.
Just sayin' ~ Who knew? ;-)

So...I went to HomeSense and found the
requisite pans for a good price.
And, yes...pans ~ I bought two!
One of these is just not enough.

Trust me. :)


~ French Apple Tart ~

Adapted from Mary Englebreit's
"Let the Merrymaking Begin ~
Christmas Volume One
"


Dough for a single crust pie,
rolled out and chilled in the pan.

3 Large Granny Smith Apples ~
peeled, cut in half, cored and sliced thinly.

** Friendly WARNING **
You can use another variety of baking apple ~
BUT...ONLY baking apples will do!
You will have a soggy tart if you don't obey this one simple rule ~
just ask me how I know! :)

1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Heavy (Whipping) cream, unwhipped
1 Large Egg
1 tsp Vanilla

Icing Sugar ~
for sprinkling just prior to serving...
after it's baked.

Preheat oven to 375* F

Roll dough to fit 9 inch tart pan with removeable bottom.
Place dough in pan and flute the edges.
Chill dough in pan for 30 minutes.

Arrange apple slices in tart in concentric circles,
beginning at the outside and working toward the centre.

Bake tart at this stage for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, whip together
sugar, cream, vanilla and egg with wire whisk.
Pour mixture over the apples and bake 25 or 30 minutes longer
until custard is set.


~ This photo by Calvin...it was his piece! ~

Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
Remove sides of pan.
Sprinkle with icing sugar prior to serving.

Serve warm or cooled to 8
(or less) very fortunate people!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment