Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tearing Down Idols

I have set idols up in my heart.
I never would have thought it possible.
After all, I have been a Christian most of my life.
The LORD saved me when I was nearly five.

Over the years I grew spiritually.
Sanctification.

But the pride.
Oh the pride!

I taught Sunday School as a teenager
and prepared very little.
Prayed very little.
Really, I did much of what
would be called "serving the LORD"
in my own strength.

Wood. Hay. Stubble.


Idols.

Where did they come from?
My own heart.
My imagination.
I set them up and didn't realise I had done it!

A perfect marriage.
A perfect home.
A perfect family.

None of these are attainable.
And if set up in a high position in our hearts,
they become idols.

The Word of God says ~
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
~ Exodus 20:3 ~

How often I have failed in this!
But how GREAT and WONDERFUL our God is!!
He forgives and helps us overcome these idols.
In the everyday a work of Sanctification takes place ~
HE is faithful to complete that which HE begins!

"Being confident of this very thing,
that he which hath begun a good work in you
will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."
~ Philippians 1:6 ~

As we ask for HIS help and grace,
and seek HIM for forgiveness ~
HE will deliver us from the idols we have set up.
HE enables us to surrender.

Might HE give daily the ability to serve HIM
with all of our hearts and love HIM above all else.

In the everyday.
In the mundane.
In the ordinary.

All for HIS glory alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment