Saturday, June 15, 2013

Why Homeschoolers should Garage Sale


I love garage sales. I think I should start a GSA: Garage Sales Anonymous. :)  But then I would just go to Goodwill...but ANYWAYS!


My Garage Sale Success Stories



Before garage saleing, I make a mental list of things I need next year for school. Along with curriculum, notebooks, binders, sticky notes and index cards are on this list.

My TI-83+ graphing calculator!
Recently going to a garage sale, I came across a $100 TI-83+ graphing calculator for $20. I knew it was an EXTREMELY expensive calculator, and the best deal online is about $50. I also knew with Saxon Algebra 2, I needed it. Well, the calculator didn't work. I wasn't quite sure if it needed batteries or if it was broke, and I really didn't want to waste $20. I asked the lady if she would take $10, and she said yes. Despite being surprised, I was also thankful when I came home and the calculator worked.

My little sister (Olivia, who will be in kindergarten next year) got her entire kindergarten homeschool for free. The value was over $160, with the books being A Beka. My mom bought a red tablecloth at a garage sale and told the lady it was for our homeschool books so we wouldn't scratch the table. The lady asked which grades, and then GAVE my mom a ton of A Beka curriculum. When my mom insisted on giving her some money for it, the lady declined. She said a lady gave it to her, and so she gave it to us.


Saxon Phonics 1- new - for $20
At another garage sale, we came across the Saxon phonics curriculum, valuing $160. The lady priced it at $20. She hadn't used it, but she had stapled and cut everything that needed to be stapled or cut. It also had two unopened CDs. She had put it all nicely in a box. Of course, we bought it and thanked the lady and God a million times. Between Pinterest and the Saxon and A Beka books, Olivia will be prepared for school this year and possibly next year.




Here is why I believe all homeschoolers should garage sale and Goodwill:

homeschooling supplies - all from various garage sales
  1. It's fun. Plain and simple! :)
  2. You can get SUPER cheap clothing, home decor, and homeschooling supplies.
  3. You can get homeschool curriculum for dirt-cheap.
  4. Garage sales are cheaper than Amazon, eBay, etc.
  5. I cannot tell you how many perfectly good (or still-in-the-package new) pencils, binders, folders, notebooks, and sticky notes we have found at garage sales.
  6. You will learn how to bargain and haggle. 
  7. You will find lots of good books and movies!!
  8. It's tax-free. (in most places)

Tips for going to Garage Sales:

  1. Where I live, clothing prices for decent clothing are typically $1 or less for regular brands and $2-$4 for name-brands such as Justice, Ann Taylor, or Gymboree. Anything more than that is going to get haggled down. If a Justice shirt is $7, no matter the condition, perhaps ask for $5. Yes, Justice is a very expensive brand. `
  2. If you buy ten shirts and your bill is $27, you can normally ask if they'll take $25 and most will say yes. (This also works vice versa: If you're having a garage sale, low low low!)
  3. Know your brands. If those Ann Taylor pants are mar
    Some of our sticky notes - all 25 cents or less from garage sales
    ked $5, it may be for a reason. $5 Ann Taylor pants are a VERY good deal!
  4. Don't go to one garage sale and expect to hit the jackpot. Yes, it may happen. But it is RARE. Note it is not even June yet and we have gone to over 60 garage sales this year. We started March 1, and it is currently the end of May. If we would have went to one or two, we wouldn't have got the deals we have gotten. It takes time.
  5. You may go to ten junky garage sales before coming to a golden one. BUT when you find that person whose child has the same size as yours....priceless
  6. Go to neighborhood garage sales. Memorize the ones that have your kids' sizes.
  7. Dig. Dig through piles of books and clothing.
  8. Need something? Pray! 
  9. Don't give up!!! If you're on the hunt for size 8 clothes, don't give up until you find them! 

What are your best garage sale deals? 

Why do you like going to garage sales?

No comments:

Post a Comment