Monday, October 29, 2012

Janine's Autumn Chowder

Our niece *loves* this chowder!
Even on a hot day she has been known to request it!
And, once I tried it, I understood.
Really, I did! :)

I still prefer it in the Fall/Winter.
Something about it says that to me.
Maybe it's in its name? ;-)

It's what I served for supper one night last week.
(Actually two nights, since I made double).
One recipe serves 4 to 5 generously.
Another great thing about this chowder
is that it can be whipped up at nearly a moment's notice.
Thought to pot to table in under an hour.

How's that for a home-cooked meal?
Biscuits on the side would be nice,
but, this chowder delivers nicely
in the fill-you-up department.

Bonus!




Since I gleaned this recipe from my sister,
I've named it after her.
I don't know where it originally came from ~
If you do, please do tell so I can give
credit where credit is due.

And, it is due, believe me!  

~ Janine's Autumn Chowder ~

1 cup onion, diced
Olive oil for frying
3 cups new potatoes with skins on, diced
1 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
3 cups frozen corn
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit if using stock from a cube)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups milk
1/4 cup flour

8 slices of bacon, fried crisply for a topping.

Fry onion in oil in soup pot.
Add stock, potatoes and carrots.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer
about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Stir in milk, corn, pepper and salt.
Heat to simmer.  Do not boil.
Mix cheese and flour together in a bowl until cheese is coated.
Add to pot, stirring constantly.  
Stir until cheese is melted and soup is thickened.

Serve with crumbled bacon.  Y.U.M!

Enjoy!

With Love,
Camille


No comments:

Post a Comment